I'M PRETTY SURE THIS REALLY HAPPENED

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

WEDNESDAY IS ALREADY PRETTY FUNNY

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1. Conrad and I looked at Beulah III. It is big and has extra rooms. We like it. If you know of any good-mannered, dish-washing party addicts, send them to me, because there's a THIRD ROOM.

(This is funny because now it really looks like I'm going to live with CONRAD!)

2. I was on my way from Northern Liberties to my house when I got the text of the week from Lauren:
"OMG FREE GLO STIX AT CHESTNUT AND BROAD VIA A PSYCHEDELIC MARCHING BAND. MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED."

Naturally, I made my way down there. It was true; there was the Villanova marching band covered head to toe in light bulbs, a white blues band wrapped in glow sticks, a gospel choir wearing blinking electric crosses, food carts, rave-people on stilts with LED sunglasses and whirling blinky kooshballs, and a team of city workers handing out free glow sticks and other assorted blinky things.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The occasion was the lighting of several buildings on Broad Street by the Frenchies who turned City Hall into a spooky gingerbread house in 2K4. By the end of next year, 11 buildings along the "Avenue of the Arts" (read: Broad Street, or 14th, depending on where you're from), will be racing with multicolored, fagtastic programmable LEDs that can turn the concrete and stone thoroughfare into...well, this.

In the meantime, a few buildings were "light-painted" with projections like the one above, and Lauren and I watched while some colors danced around the first permanently lit neon rave-cave, a UArts building at Broad and Walnut, and enormous speakers played the Hello, Aliens song from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and Beethoven.

First day after Nutter's elected, and things are already looking up. Seriously, can we have MT on Broad Street in a few months?



Also, MAD PROPS to Jo for getting a job on "The Lovely Bones," and to Lauren for getting promoted just for being great. Let's celebrate this weekend.

3 comments:

Bangs said...

I got that text from Lauren too, but mine said it was from "lBren has drugs". I wonder when I got her phone number.

pinchefresco said...

no fair! i want drugs from lBren!

ohsolasa said...

Oh wow....

we traded numbers in line at RUBA on Halloween...I have three "sue"s in my phone. Confusing. I'm surprised I didn't put you under "blacked out/face paint/fake blood". I guess I can edit it.